Tuesday, 22 September 2015

User Profile Service Application Error (SharePoint Service Error)

Couple of days before, I found very interesting issue at client end. 

My Client has done migration from SharePoint 2010 to 2013.Everything working fine except User profile service (They actually tried to configure only one Service first). First SharePoint admin tried to provision the User Profile Service using configuration wizard and the issue they found as follows:

   The service application(s) for the service "User Profile Service Application" could not be provisioned because of the following error: User cannot be found.

He then tried to provision UPS manually. Now they are able to provision the UPS successfully.
Now he clicked  the UPS and found one more error with correlation id.

He used PowerShell cmdLet as mentioned here to extract information from Correlation id.

Now the error was:

This User Profile Application's connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or User Profile Server SharePoint 2013

He found that everything is working fine what showing in the error. Now Client has asked us to fix it up.

I have also tried everything what they had done earlier with one more step ahead. I have used PowerShell cmdLet to provison UPS. I found one more issue. My provisiond User profile Service got stuck on starting.

After almost full day googling I found nothing but only one stsadm script to provision SharePoint Web service.

I then realized that may be this issue belongs to SharePoint Web service application hosted in IIS.

I checked there and Yesssss, here is the culprit.
During migration, Some how, Then have not checked the Physical path of SharePoint Web service that was pointing to 

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\WebServices\Root
instead of 
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\WebServices\Root

So whenever they tried to provision the UPS or other Service Application (Except App Management Service)
They mapped with following Physical Path
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\WebServices\Profile

instead of 
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\WebServices\Profile

I modified the physical path locations of all the service along With SharePoint Web Service and then again provision the SharePoint Web service using stsadm command:

stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype SPWebservice 

Almost 4 hours the above command has taken but the main part is The issue has been fixed. Huhhhhhh.

No comments :

Post a Comment